Getting to know Tony:

Getting to know Tony:

     A person’s beginnings often define their beliefs. This is very true of me. I was born of an unwed mother who chose to take me to term rather than abort me, in the small village of Biella, Italy. I was placed in an orphanage at the age of 8 days old in Milan and later transferred to another in Rome.

     The Catholic Diocese of Pueblo sent representatives to couples that had expressed interest in adoption due to inability to conceive on their own. One came to talk with my mother at home and showed a variety of pictures to her. She quickly picked out one in particular. They then went to where my father was working showing a smaller sample of photos. He also picked the very same one. This had to be destiny. I was brought over from Italy to Trinidad, Colorado at the age of 4 ½ in July of 1957.

     I began school that September at East Street Elementary knowing very little English. My parents (first generation citizens, knowing that I needed to assimilate into the culture I had been dropped into decided to not speak Italian in front of me.This, along with TV, helped me become proficient in English sooner than most of the other non-English students there. I was naturalized along with my best friend’s mother who was British (the wife of our local Sheriff Garcia) in 1962.

     Through the help from someone (never knew who or how), I was allowed to attend Holy Trinity Middle  and High School for the remainder of my scholastic experience. We were blessed with teachers who were tough on us and pushed us to excellence. I graduated in 1970 tied for second in my class earning many scholastic and other awards.

     During my school years my mother and father were divorced when I was 12. I stayed with my mom and my younger brother stayed with my dad. Mom and I lived under the poverty level for years as my dad refused to give mom child support during that time. We had a house, few but always clean clothes and simple food. This is where I learned to be frugal yet content with what we had. We never expected nor demanded any governmental assistance. My mother worked, often night shifts and I also started working at the age of 12 while I went to school at a small local grocery store, later working at Morris Alpert, a men’s clothing store.

     When it became time to graduate a priest asked me which college was I planning to attend. I explained that we didn’t have any funds to allow me to go to college (and I had never been counseled how to apply for scholarships or grants) so I expected to simply go into the workforce. He mumbled something and left. The next day he came to me with a scholarship to Trinidad State Junior College where I also worked, as a part of that grant, as secretary to four Professors. During the summer I worked with our anthropology professor on an archeology dig. I had qualified for this scholarship from a grant for students who had been diagnosed and treated, with radiology, for cancer. I was so diagnosed and treated during my summer break after my Junior year.Because I had poor counseling (direction) I never received my BS degree but went on to attend Colorado State University in Fort Collins. During that year I also worked at the local Morris Alpert.

     This grant was terminated when it was not funded anymore by the government., so I returned to Trinidad taking on several different jobs over a few years. I was asked to help the original Morris Alpert by the owners to help close that venue. Afterwards they asked me to move to Denver to work at their Lakewood store, which I did for about 8 years.

    During the time I was back in Trinidad I joined the Jaycees, a young man’s leadership organization. By organizing, planning and running a variety of projects (often  to raise money for charities or help organizations like PBS) we learned how to become goal oriented and leaders in our communities. This continued when I moved to Lakewood. There I became local president on two different  occasions, a district director, and finally the State Secretary under Allen Anders. During this time I won numerous awards including the highest one given which was the Gold Key Award given by the State President.

     Around 1982 Morris Alpert decided to close their Lakewood store. Two customers got together with me to buy them out. I could not provide any finances but was asked to participate by using my experience to run the store and be it’s tailor. We were able to only make enough money to keep the store open for 2 years so they decided to close it. It was at this time I was also asked by the owners of the jewelry  store next to us to become a live-in helper with their quadropegic son. The duties included cooking and feeding him, washing and getting him, to bed, and Getting him up in the morning, dressing him and driving him to work. I performed these tasks for at least 6 years.

     I was also saved in 1982 and became quite involved in church functions. Soon afterward I became the adult Bible class teacher for nearly 9 years. After that I started attending The Berean Church becoming their adult teacher within the first month of attendance. Because of the deteriorating health of their pastor I was asked to fill the pulpit which lasted 1 ½ years. I was then asked to become the pastor of an offshoot church, Berean grace Fellowship lasting for 10 years. During that time my mother became deathly ill prompting me to step down and go to Trindad for 4 months to take care of her. When I returned (by this time I had moved to Commerce City), I helped a number of churches until now where I fill the pulpit at times, teach older teens, young adults and also travel to an offshoot church in Avondale twice a month.

     After the closing of Anthony’s Fine Clothing I decided to move across the street and open a tailor shop with a fellow immigrant from Greece. This continued until I became the pastor of Berean Grace Fellowship when I moved the shop to Commerce City. This ended up being a futile move forcing me to close and do some temp work for Kelly’s. I finally was accepted to the Post office where I retired after serving for 20 years. I have delivered mail form the Northglen, Denver, Thornton, Glendale, North Pecos, Montbello, Edgewater and finally Lakewood Post Offices.

     Politically I was raised a Democrat and actually helped on Tim Worth’s first congressional race. That would be the last time I ever did so. Raised as a Catholic and having been born a bastard child caused me to question a Party that was so calloused about innocent life, the unborn, I could not support that party anymore. The more I became involved (especially under Reagan), the more I realized they were right on their defence of the constitution, especially individual freedoms (1st amendment including freedom of speech and religion) and the second amendment, the right to defend and protect themselves and loved ones. I also came to realize how government overreach and overregulation harmed small businesses through my experience as a small business owner. Because of these beliefs I became active at the county level, starting in Jeffco for nearly 8 years and Adams County for 22 years, serving as precinct committeeman, District Captain and chairman of HD 32. Working along with other conservatives I have helped run projects, fundraisers, diners and other events for our Party and it’s candidates and worked on their campaigns.

     Although I am retired I decided to work part time at Lutheran Hospital, even during this time of the coronavirus outbreak, helping to fill supplies needed on each floor by the nurses and doctors. My joy is also being able to be a mentor for members of the STAR program run by the Denver Rescue Mission on Smith Road.

     My goal is to represent the forgotten families and individuals during this time of rushing towards a failed socialistic future. I want to make it more possible for individuals to become the best they can be without governmental interference and realize true freedoms as expressed by our founders and as given to us by God. I hope you will join me towards this goal. 

                                                                                                                                        Tony Caputo         


©2020 by Anthony "Tony" Caputo. Proudly created with